Day Trips and Diving
About seven kilometers from Pattaya is Koh Lan, a 205-meter-high island surrounded by coral reefs. Visitors can choose a 45-minute ferry ride from Bali Hai Pier or save half an hour by booking a private speedboat. Once on the island, you’ll enjoy crunchy white sand beaches and crystal-clear water. Be forewarned, the main beach can be quite busy during the high season or long weekends.
Twenty-three kilometers off the coast of Pattaya is the nature reserve island known as Koh Phai. The island features a 150-meter-high limestone rock formation, some secret coves, and many dive sites. Smaller islands surrounding Koh Phai have active coral reefs. In 2003 the US Navy ship HTMS Khram was sunk 300 meters East of Koh Phai, creating what is now a thriving coral reef.
Sights and Excursions
Many amusement parks designed to entertain the whole family are operating in Pattaya.
- • Mini Siam is famous for its miniature buildings.
- • The Elephant Village can get you up close and personal with Thailand’s gentle giants.
- • Underwater World Pattaya showcases a vast array of marine life you can see from an underwater tunnel.
- • If its more wildlife you crave, the Sri Racha Open Zoo features tigers, crocodiles, and a whole jungle full of animals.
- • Flight of the Gibbon is a zipline adventure you won’t soon forget.
- • Nong Nooch Tropical Gardens just south of Pattaya is world-famous for its immaculate award-winning botanical gardens.
- • Pattaya boasts not one, but three water parks.
- • An old but still fun park is beachside at Pattaya Park between Pratumnak Hill and Jomtien Beach.
- • Ramayana is a massive water park located about 20 kilometers south of Pattaya.
- • Hopefully the former site of the Cartoon Network Water Park will reopen soon to give us a trifecta of ways to cool off from the tropical heat.
Thai Cultural Sites
- • The Sanctuary of Truth is a breathtaking wooden temple/palace/museum located near Wongamat Beach
- • Buddha Hill between South Pattaya and Jomtien offers the most panoramic views of Pattaya Bay.
- • The world-famous transgender cabaret shows at Tiffany’s, Alcazar, and the Colosseum.
- • Wat Yansanwararam is a Buddhist meditation retreat for foreigners and Thais.
- • The Million Years Stone Park and Crocodile Farm are nine kilometers east of Pattaya.
- • Pattaya Floating market is the largest man-made floating market just south of Pattaya.
- • Pattaya Dolphin World & Resort includes a dolphin show.